Insured Duties In The Event Of Damage Or Loss To Your Insured Crop

  • It is the responsibility of the insured to request that we open a claim.
  • Notify us within 72 hours of your initial discovery of damage (but not later than 15 days after the end of the insurance period).
  • You must also notify us within 3 days of the date harvest should have started if the crop will not be harvested.
  • If the crop has been damaged during the growing season and you previously gave notice of damage you must also provide notice at least 15 days prior to the beginning of harvest if you intend to claim an indemnity as a result of the damage previously reported.
  • You can file a claim between 31-60 days after harvest (by variety), however if a claim is filed between 31-60 days after harvest the insuring company requires additional documentation from the insured.
  • If you file a claim 61 or more days after harvest (by variety) the claim is invalid, and no indemnity can be paid.
  • You must receive consent from the underwriting company prior to abandoning, destroying, removing, and/or putting your crop and/or acreage to an alternative use.

Keep in mind that filing a crop insurance claim has no bearing on your insurance premiums, so any time you may suspect a loss we strongly suggest that you contact us immediately.

The above is general claim information. Please be sure to reach out to us/your agent for specific details pertinent to your policy.

Vintage Crop Insurance is an equal opportunity provider. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities based on race, color, national origin, age, disability, and, where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign, and mail a program discrimination complaint form (available at any USDA office location or online at to the United States Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Ave., SW., Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll-free at (866) 632- 9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office, or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.